History of The Billesdon Surgery

The Billesdon Surgery was established in 1948 as Aneurin Bevan, the then minster for health, brought the National Health Service into being. However, many years prior to this the surgery began as a simple 19th century apothecary by John Atkins. He practiced at his home on Front Street (now 44 Church Street).

In 1838 William Francis Franks, a 25 year old surgeon born in Burton Overy, was appointed Medical Officer to the workhouse and in 1855 he moved the practice to 2 Brook Lane. William Franks died in 1885 whereupon is successor, Dr Edward Williams, took over as General Practitioner. He later bought the White House on the corner of Back Street and lived and practiced there.

Early in the 20th century Dr William was joined by his nephew, Major Edward Kynaston Williams, after serving in the Indian Army. Edward died in 1918 after nearly 60 years in the village; he is remembered fondly today by a window at the Billesdon Church. Edward Williams’s nephew continued the family tradition, living and holding surgeries at the White Hall and was later joined by his son, Edward Graham Kynaston Williams. The two worked together until the father’s death in 1947, soon after which Dr H.K. Davidson became a partner and stayed for 42 years.

In 1948 the surgery moved into an Georgian farmhouse in the market place just as the NHS began and established the name The Billesdon Surgery. In 1986 it was accepted that the surgery was unsuitable for present day requirements so extensive interior and exterior works began over a period of nine months, during which time the practice operated from three linked portakabins – a traumatic experience for both patients and staff!

In 2010 a further extension at the rear of the property added more clinical rooms. The extension removed what remained of the old horses stables at the back.

Today Billesdon Surgery stands proud at 4 Market Place, it is fortunate to have had a long, unbroken succession of amazing doctors and continues to hold the high standards of its forebears today.

Source: “Billesdon 2000 Years of a High Leicestershire Village” by the Billesdon Local History Group 1999 (Out Of Print). Edited by Daniel May, Nov-19.

 

 Billesdon Surgery 1948

Gough's farmhouse (on the right) which became The Surgery in 1948

CQC

Map

BillesdonMap340

Click the map to open in Google Maps.

Catchment Area

BillesdonCatchment340

Click the image for more information and to check your postcode in the interactive version.